Use our handy web questionnaire to find out which course is most suitable for your skills and experience.
Self Reliant Speciality
Although diving with a buddy is preferable, there are reasons for an experienced diver to develop additional skills to develop self reliance and independence whilst diving.
Learning to carry out dives without a buddy can make you a more adept diver in certain dive situations.
With training, additional equipment and the correct attitude, an experienced diver can engage in dives without a buddy.
The Self Reliant speciality isn’t for everyone and requires the mental discipline and commitment of an experienced diver, and can bolster your skills and confidence to either dive alone, as a buddy or in a team.
It is also the ideal speciality to have alongside the Padi Photography Speciality, for those dives where you just want to observe a small part of the reef or wreck, and take those great photos.
During the three dives you will learn:
- Performing an air consumption rate swim to gather information for later calculation
- Switching to a redundant air supply system during simulated emergency situations
- Swimming without a mask
- Navigating to various points, including your exit
- Using a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy
All the equipment necessary for the course can be supplied by Oxford Dive Centre.
Prerequisites & Requirement
- Minimum age is 18 years old
- Padi Advanced Open Water Diver with over 100 dives
One pool session with three Open water dives